Tuesday, June 1, 2010

On Getting Married

Yep that's what I'm doing this summer. It's such a normal thing. People do it all the time. Why the heck would I need so many months to plan for it?

Well, apparently I do. Many of my waking hours are spent thinking about, talking about, emailing about wedding details. And when I sleep at night I often have horrible dreams about my veil not matching the dress, or Kyle not being the one at the end of the aisle.

Sometimes a lot of it feels really meaningless and yet compelling. Picking out flowers, table linens, hors d'oeuvres, what to wrap my bouquet in, how to fix my hair, what nail polish to buy, what music to dance to, how to wrap the favors. Gracious.

As I've read many of your blogs this week, I've realized the anxiety of wedding planning often flows from luxury. Then when you talk about "luxury" it gets into issues of my family. . . which then gets complicated. I want to celebrate at our wedding, even lavishly because it is a beautiful occasion, but how can I use "luxurious" resources well here without worshipping them? I'm not quite sure St. Francis' model is what I want to be, but how do I be like Christ when I'm an upper-middle class white woman planning a wedding?

Just a tension I feel... :)



2 comments:

  1. http://www.jtnightshow.com/blogger/uploaded_images/bridezilla-749357.jpg

    Don't let this be you Emily, and everything else will just fall into place

    ReplyDelete
  2. emily...while I haven't had to feel what you're feeling in the same concentrated situation, i do think we all feel this way most of the time in a less intense way.
    thank the Lord for reminders to re-evaluate the way we choose to live, and how much we choose is enough.
    i'm pretty sure that even just thinking about it is opening a door that the Spirit can use.

    ReplyDelete